Introduction to DNA for Genealogists Outline
A. The Concepts In the category of Genetics and Genealogy
1. What are we Trying to Accomplish ?
2. Does Not replace Traditional genealogical research
3. Family Tree DNA (Family Finder, Y-DNA Testing, Full Mitochondrial Sequence
4. An Example of STR Y-DNA genealogy
5. AncestryDNA (genetic ethnicity, relatives matches)
6. 23andme.com (Ancestry Composition, DNA Relatives)
7. Do the tests tell us who we are related to?
8. , How do they work ?
B. What are we measuring?
1. What is DNA ? What is a chromosome ?
2. We measure errors and size
3. There are two ways of measuring them; STR , SNP
4. STR DNA Measurements
5. SNP DNA Measurements
6. SNPs accumulate over time
C. Y Chromosome
1. Males have a Y Chromosome Their father gave them
2. All direct line descendant Males have the same Y Chromosome
D. Who wants your Business
1. What are the companies offering you?
2. Where did you come from ? When ?
3. Where did my ancestors come from?
E. African Ancestry
F. Ancestry DNA
H. Family Tree DNA
I. New SNP Tests (Big-Y, WTY, Full Genomes)
J. Britains DNA
K. Full Genomes
L. How to use it
1. 1st a genealogist needs to know the Y-DNA test and how to use it
2. 37 Y-chromosome STR markers
3. How to interpret Y-DNA results
M. What is a surname study ?
N. What have I learned with DNA
1. The results of a 37 Y-DNA study as proof
2. Working with Autosomal DNA
3. Third party tools like gedmatch.com
4. Y-Utility: Y-DNA Comparison Utility
O. Johan Casber Rötter Ship Edinberg 1750 Philadelphia
P. I want to be related to this Family